My Low-Fat, Raw Vegan RAW-O-Politan Ice Cream (available in the desserts e-book) by: http://rawknheels.com/dont-raw-vegans-get-fat-eating-raw-food-and-desserts-raw-cacao-is-a-neurotoxin/
watermelon rind pickles
Makes 2-3 cups of pickles (exactly the amount of cut rind you have)
1 lb. 4 oz. (600 g) watermelon rind (about 1/8 of a very large watermelon)
3 T. (15 g) kosher or sea salt
1 C. (235 ml) apple cider vinegar
1 C. (235 ml) brown rice syrup, agave syrup or sweetener of choice
1 T. (5 g) whole cloves
1 T. (5 g) whole allspice
3 cinnamon sticks
1 star anise
Prep the watermelon rind by peeling the green thick skin. Cut up into smallish cubes. Once you have cut it, trim off any pink flesh from the inside edge. (A tinge of pink is okay, but you want the white, firm flesh for these pickles.)
Mix the salt with 1 qt. (1 L) filtered water until the salt is dissolved. Soak the rind pieces for one hour. Rinse and drain.Add the spices to a spice bag or tie up inside a piece of cheesecloth.
In a large pot, add a fresh quart (one liter) of filtered water, the vinegar, syrup, and the spices. Stir well to combine. Add the drained rind. Bring just to a boil, then simmer, covered, for 45-60 minutes.
Taste. The pickles should be tender but not mushy. Let cool completely.
Store in a covered glass container in the refrigerator, covered in the pickling liquid..
Don’t sweat the amounts of the rind. You can have more or less than this and it will work fine. If it really seems like you have too much rind for the liquid (it should be covered in the pan), then double the water, vinegar, syrup, and spices.
Heat vinegar, sweetener of choice, and spices in dehydrator at 130’ for one hour.
Place watermelon in glass jar, pour heated vinegar mixture over rinds, let cool until room temperature and refrigerate for 48 hours. Your pickles will be ready after 48 hours and should stay good for at least two weeks. Enjoy the sweet and spice of these delicious pickles!
Love these little guys! Two ingredients: dates and pistachios. They look like little poos rolled in green blobs. Totally delicious.
Almond milk tutorial..
1. Soak a cup of raw almonds overnight.
2. Add the soaked almonds and 4 cups of water to your blender. Optional: sweeten it with a couple of dates, agave, vanilla and/or maple syrup.
3. Blend it at high speed for a minute or two.
4. Pour the milk through a “nut milk bag” and squeeze out the liquid..
5. Pour the milk into a purdy little bottle/jar..
6. Lasts 4-7 days in the fridge. Enjoy!
Orange Chocolate “Cheese” Cake
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 4 dates, soaked until soft
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
1. Place almonds and pecans in food processor and process until finely chopped.
2. Add dates and cacao. Process until well blended. Mixture should stick together when you pinch it.
3. Press 2/3 of the mixture into the bottom of a 7-inch spring form pan
lined with parchment paper. Make sure you press it well.
4. Set the remaining 1/3 mixture aside to use for filling layer or to sprinkle on top.
- 1/2 cup orange zest
- 2 cups cashews, soaked until soft (4+ hours), rinsed and drained well
- 1 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup fresh orange juice (approximately 3 oranges, depending how juicy they are)
- 2/3 cup raw agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1. Zest oranges and set aside.
2. In high-speed blender, combine cashews, coconut oil, orange juice and raw agave nectar. Blend until smooth.
3. Add zest and ginger. Pulse just to combine.
4. Pour over crust.
5. Refrigerate overnight.
6. Top with remaining crust.
raw vegan chocolate pudding pie
My raw vegan fruit cake:
- Strawberry crust
- cherry and banana ice cream layer
- sliced strawberry layer
- banana, strawberry, and peach layer
- topped with a strawberry garnish
savory & sweet apple-pear pie topped with smoked gouda-style home cultured cashew cheese. almond-crimini crust.
i created this recipe out of my love for savory desserts & after consulting my copy of The Flavor Bible.
pie filling is: thinly sliced apples & pears, coconut nectar, cinnamon, nutmeg, & fresh lemon juice.
cultured smoked gouda is: cashew cheese (cashews, water, & probiotic powder- aged at room temp in cheesecloth for 1 day), sea salt, nutritional yeast, onion powder, nutmeg, & liquid smoke.
pie crust is: almonds & crimini mushrooms ground together in the food processor.
after assembly in tart cases, the mini pies were dehydrated overnight.
The dessert that blew us away was Raw Key Lime Pie $8 made of avocado and zucchini if we heard correctly. It looked really pretty and when you put your fork on the cake, you cannot believe it’s so soft. The crust crumbles easily and everything was light and refreshing. A must try item when you visit the cafe….
The Living Cafe
779 Bukit Timah Rd
(from: http://mrandmrsvegan.wordpress.com/2013/04/02/raw-pizza-the-living-cafe-at-779-bukit-timah-road/ )
From the recipes for classic cheese cake and graham cracker crust below I think I will sub out the cashew butter for the avocado, and key limes for the lemon juice…?
- ½ cup zucchini, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup raw cashew butter
- 2½ Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2½ Tablespoons raw honey (or agave nectar, for vegans)
- 2 dates
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- In a mini food processor, blend zucchini until finely processed.
- Add the lemon juice, raw honey, dates, vanilla, and sea salt, and blend until smooth.
- Finally, add in the cashew butter and blend until well combined.
- Pour into a spring-form pan, over a raw graham cracker crust if desired, and FREEZE OVERNIGHT until set.
- Serve frozen for an authentic cheesecake texture.
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or stevia, to taste)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- Grind pecans in a food processor until crumbly. (Be careful not to over-process, or the oils will be release from the nuts, leaving you with a more glossy, oily crust!)
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend in food processor until it all sticks together, like cookie dough. Press the dough into a greased or lined pan, and place it in the freezer to set.
Raw Caramel Apple Pie RECIPE
Vanilla Coconut Lavender Ice Cream
2 1/2 cups soaked raw cashews
1 cup almond or coconut milk
3/4 cup agave nectar
1/2 cup coconut butter
2 tbls dried edible lavender, finely ground
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tbls lecithin
1/2 cup coconut flakes, opt
Add all ingredients to a high speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Either pour into an ice cream maker and follow directions or pour into container and put in the freezer for about 2-3 hours or until frozen to desired consistency.